Zero Waste GF Seed Crackers
These Seed Crackers are honestly the easiest thing that I make each week to have on hand as a zero waste, healthy, gluten-free, nutrient rich snack for platters, hummus dipping or to add with a salad or lunch.
Like every other recipe on our blog they take minimal time to make - less than 2 minutes to prepare and there is no kneading or rolling just simply pop onto your tray and flatten out. We love experimenting with the flavours using different herbs and spices but also love them just with a bit of added salt and pepper too as there is a lot going on with all of the different types of seeds used.
3/4 cup Sunflower Seeds
3/4 cup Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 cup Sesame Seeds
1/2 cup Chia Seeds
1/2 cup Flaxseeds
2 teaspoons Hımılayan or other type of Salt
1 teaspoons Black Pepper
1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast (optional)
1 - 1 1/2 cups cold water
Optional: Here you can add in any herbs or spice combinations you like or have on hand. Some of our favourites to add with varying combinations are garlic powder, dried rosemary, cumin, paprika, chilli flakes, mustard powder & cayenne pepper.
1. Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees on fan bake. Mix all of the dried ingredients together in a bowl then add the water and let the mixture sit anywhere between 10-20 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed.
2. Grease a couple of oven trays with coconut oil or butter. Split the mixture evenly between the 2 trays then wet your hands and spread the mixture out as much as possible until it is around 2mm-3mm thick. You don't want them too thick otherwise they lose their crunch.
Tip - I find it far easier to work with wet hands doing this as the mixture doesn't stick as easily and I can get them thinner on the tray.
3. With a big knife cut the crackers into squares - don't stress about cutting all the way through as they will snap on the lines very easily.
4. Bake for around 40-50 minutes until they are turning golden brown. Take out of the oven and let them cool completely before breaking into the squares.
5. You can store these for around 2 weeks.