Easy Gluten Free Chickpea Crackers
I love having our own healthy homemade crackers on hand. But what I don't really love is lots of kneading, rolling and time consuming recipes. I am all about quick and easy no fuss recipes these days so when I found this recipe and made a few tweaks to suit us a bit better I was so happy the way they turned out. It literally is a chuck everything in a bowl, roll out as much as possible onto your baking tray and its done type of recipe. When the consistency is right too it forms a really perfect dough which I then get the kids to help with the rolling out phase (as much as possible anyway).
The base of the recipe is chickpea flour which is gluten free and loaded with nutrients and protein. Chickpea flour is made from dried chickpeas and it has a nutty, buttery taste to it.
1 cup Chickpea Flour
1 tsp Baking powder
1/2 - 1tsp ground salt and black pepper
2 Tbsp Chia Seeds
2 Tbsp Flaxseeds/Linseeds
1 Tbsp melted Virgin Coconut Oil
3-4 Tbsp water
Optional - You can add whatever herbs or spices to the recipe as you feel like. I often add cumin and make a batch with lots of black pepper added which the kids don't like but I love.
1. Pop all of the dry ingredients in a bowl and mix. Preheat your oven to 180° fan bake.
2. Add the oil and then slowly add the water, stirring and taking note of the dough as you add in your water.
3. Once your dough is the correct consistency roll into a ball and knead a few times.
4. Grease your oven tray with some butter or coconut oil and then roll out your dough onto the tray until no thicker than 5mm - the thinner you can get them the crunchier they will typically be.
5. Bake at 180° for around 20-30 minutes or until turning slightly golden.
6. Get out of the oven and cool completely on the baking tray, once cooled pop onto a cooling rack and let them cool further. Then store in an airtight container for up to a week.